Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ahhhh Nature...


I was walking into my apartment after work today when this ginormous leaf fell from the tree and nearly hit me in the head. God always uses nature to capture my attention.

I love to look up at the sky and see what's going on. Today there are huge puffy clouds in the sky and the sun creates silver linings around all of them. It's amazing! It's so simple and so rejuvenating. When I made it into my bedroom I decided to lay on my bed with my head handing off the side so I could look out the window at the world upside down... again, very amusing if you make the time for it.

I think noticing nature and noticing the details in life are a great ways to train myself to truly be present and to live in the moment. God creates these things for us to enjoy. Children know how to do this... but adults, we've apparently got better things to do (more boring things to do, if you ask me!).

Any other suggestions? At what time in your day do you fully embrace the moment?

6 comments:

  1. I do remember when I was younger I loved to hang upside down on the couch and wonder what it would be like if I viewed everything from that angle. I have not tried it lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to go out in the backyard and do cartwheels. I guess I'm not really paying attention to nature in doing that, but it helps me to remember to be young.

    Madi was doing handstands on the wall in the living room yesterday. My first thought was to get on to her and say, "stop that." But then I thought, "no, keep doing that. You need to be young and carefree."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we should have a law where everyone has to do at least one cartwheel or handstand per week. Or... spin and spin and spin until you fall to the ground and the whole world keeps spinning for a while. What about rolling down a grassy hill? Some of the greatest memories of my life!

    Jenny... I definitely recommend you hang upside down on your couch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Jake and I were leaving Pepaw's early Monday morning I glanced in the rearview mirror heading west on I20 and the morning sun was coming up just past the horizon. It was a beautiful orange red that was the size of Texas and only in Texas will you see the beauty of a morning sun like that! I felt God created that sun just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was gonna say rolling down grassy hills! I loved doing this, even though I am allergic to grass and would get an itchy throat afterwards! Right now, (even though this doesn't have anything to do with nature, other than "the birds and the bees"..but) when I meet my angel in her crib in the early mornings to nurse and change her dipey, I am amazed at her innocence and purity when she looks at me while silly baby talk pours out of my mouth, and she smiles at me and tries to talk (coos) back. This is the best feeling in the world and such a testament of the Lord's presence!

    ReplyDelete