Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Possibilities.


Ok, this is random and has absolutely nothing to do with the title of this post, but I can't stop laughing about it!

So, when we were in Africa we hired drivers to take us from here to there. We had some drama maintaining the same driver week to week, and so for each of the 3 weeks we were there we had a different driver. The last week we had a driver named (grrrr, I can't remember her name. It will come to me). Anyhow, she was not actually a driver by trade, but rather her brother Jamada was. He was the person we contacted initially, but he was already driving for someone else. He asked his sister to drive for us as a favor to him. In Kigali it is very uncommon for women to be taxi drivers or to drive at all for that matter, so we enjoyed the experience.

Try to visualize this as I explain the experience. There were 4 of us on the team and so our taxi was completely full. The cars there are generally small, thus three of us were packed into the back seat. Because I was significantly shorter than all of my team members I usually sat sandwiched quite snugly in the middle with the shoulders of my teammates framing my head. It was an interesting perspective to have. This particular day Chuck was sitting in the front seat where there was actually breathing room. Our driver decided to make conversation and and with her Rwandese accent exclaimed, " Jamada sends his greetings." I personally didn't catch what she said at first as the sound waves were blocked by the previously mentioned shoulders. Apparently, Chuck did not understand what she said either, because he immediately responded, "Who's mom?"

I was driving to meet my friend Katie, who was one of my teammates on the trip, and the memory of that exchange popped into my head and I was literally laughing out loud as I drove through rush hour traffic. If you have not experienced foreign travel you must try it for the exciting experience of language barriers.

I'll post about "Possibilities." tomorrow. : )

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't expect any less from you to be 30, flirty, and thriving. Which by the way...I LOVE THAT!!! It sounds like a great blog name.

    Love you too! I'll look up that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just came back and read that now...that's really funny! I can hear you laughing too.

    ReplyDelete